Amicitia Americae means friend of America and it is the name of the proposed foreign policy below. This policy follows the principles and ideals of the previous blogs I have written on foreign policy. You should read Pacificus and How to Amend Foreign Policy to get a better understanding of Amicitia Americae.
Amicitia Americae is a foreign policy that restructures the US’ foreign obligations and treaties both military and economic to nations that actively adopt our policies. The reasoning behind this policy is to separate the United States from nations that not only don’t share the same political values as the US but clearly violate human rights. Pacificus argues for neutrality and Amicitia Americae argues for a peaceful expansion of the United States.
Below shows a list of what a foreign nation has to do to be called Amicitia Americae, what the US should do in response, and how that Amicitia Americae can transition into a state(s). This process below should be done slowly and not all at once. Once a nation starts then it should be called Amicitia Americae
Amicitia Americae is a Title to Nations that:
- Adopts the US Constitution.
- Adopts US federal legal statutes.
- Ends any alliances they may have with other nations and enters an alliance with other Amicitia Americae.
- Ends any obligations they have with other nations that the US Senate does not approve of.
- Incorporates their military into the United States military.
- Free trade.
- Free travel.
- Adopts the US dollar as the main currency.
- Matches our educational curriculum and standards.
- Pays taxes as a territory.
What the US gives in return:
- Full military support in defense.
- Federal aid like any other territory.
- Their debt adopted by the US federal government.
- Representation in Congress as a territory.
- Free trade.
- Free travel.
- National Citizenship as a territory.
- Building of any necessary infrastructure.
- That nation will be divided up into potential states (only if big enough to be divided) these potential states are called Consulships.
- The division process will include the foreign relations committees of the House and Senate and the government of the nation in question in order to draw the Consular (state) lines.
- Each Consulship of the nation (if divided) will be run by a Consul who is elected to a term of two years but cannot serve two consecutive terms.
- The Consulships will independently decide on whether or not they wish to become a full-fledged State.
- Each Consul will conduct a bi-yearly referendum (in the middle of each term) until a majority of support for statehood is reached.
- The Consuls of each Consulship of a nation will form a Committee of Consuls to make sure that both their nation and the US are keeping up with their agreements in order to continue the Amicitia Americae relationship
- Once a Consulship becomes a state the position of Consul will be absolved and the position of Governor will be instituted
- The Consul who ratifies statehood for their consulship will become the governor for the first term and serve the full gubernatorial term of four years
- Once a state, that Consul will no longer be in the Committee of Consuls of that nation.
America should include other nations that adopt our politics into the Union in order to expand democracy and peace abroad. This process should not be done with force, especially military force, but through popular sovereignty and due processes. Few nations will actually become Amicitia Americae or friend of America and that is okay as long as we maintain neutrality and respect for all other nations.